Friday 14 October 2016

TAZARA - MORE THAN A RAIL ROAD



I traveled with Tazara for the first time in the 1990s when I ,my siblings and parents made a tour to the southern part of Tanzania for holiday .At that time I was very young ,I didn't know exactly about Tazara and  the trains in general.

Later years after I started learning history in school, learnt that the railway took a great part in the economic development and liberation of other African countries . Uhuru railways ,as it has been called served and connect the development not only of the Tanzanians but also the Zambian people.





In 2016 Tazara marked it's 40th anniversary since it begun to service the people of Zambia and Tanzania . It is the forty years of friendship between the people of China, Tanzania and Zambia who all together involved in the construction of this great railway.

Me and my colleagues whom I work with at the Open University of Tanzania along with our students invited early this year to witness the celebration at the Tazara offices in Dar es Salaam on an event that was organized by the Chinese embassy and Tanzanian government.

I felt really honored and happy to be part of the celebration that involved a day trip to Selous game reserve .

It was a well organized trip and learned a lot .I didn't know that Tazara also run a special touristic train to the game reserve again found it very interesting and unique

Our tour started in Dar es Salaam,Tazara's office at around 09:00am in the morning where a group of invited guests boarded the train . I was very excited and made quick personal tour around the train, took several pictures around .At the train I had a privilege to meet Dr. Eng. Betram Kiswaga the Deputy Managing Director of Tazara whom we shared a story of Tazara ,Mr.Gou Haodong the acting Chinese ambassador in Tanzania ,journalist from Tanzania and Chinese media who all came together to witness the celebration of the railway anniversary .

Along the way the train that was driven by Joyce Kagawa passed through the bushes of the Tanzanian country side which was very scenic and beautiful .




The train arrived at Selous's matambwe gate around 01:00pm ,started the game drive around the same time until 05:00pm where afterward we headed back to Dar es Salaam .










It was one of the best moment in my life visiting the Selous for the first time .Thank you Tazara ! 




Erasmus K , Itraveltz


0 comments:

Post a Comment